Saturday, November 5, 2011

Simple and Healthy Fruit Salad


My son D hates cream,  he hates the taste.  It was a surprise to me then when, a couple of weeks back, he asked "Mom,  can we make fruit salad again?"  The one with the cream?!  He enthusiastically nodded with a big grin on his face. 

I wasn't able to make some then;  these past couple of weeks,  someone in the family got seriously sick,  and I was too tired to do anything in the kitchen. That sickness in the family served us a wake up call for us to eat healthier.

With an hour to spare and knowing I have all the ingredients in the pantry, I prepared fruit salad for tonight's dessert,  and made it healthier  -  instead of cream, I used strawberry yogurt.  Here's my simple recipe.
   2 big cans of mixed fruits  
   2 packs of strawberry yogurt
   3 tbsp of condensed milk
   1/4 c grated cheddar cheese
what I had in stock
Strain the mixed fruits for half an hour.  In a big bowl, mix the yogurt,  cheese and condensed milk together; add more condensed milk if a sweeter salad is preferred.  With a wooden spoon, mix in the mixed fruits and refrigerate. 
I added mango slices before serving; everyone in the family love mangoes and they are in season right now.  We love nata de coco in our fruit salad,  but I can't find good nata de coco in the supermarkets here in Ho Chi Minh City.  Nevertheless,  this was wiped out in no time.

No comments:

Post a Comment