Saturday, February 16, 2013

L'usine - The Coolest Cafe in Saigon

L'usine, for me, is the coolest cafe in Saigon. The place has character, food is good, and so is the service.

I've brought many of our guests here. Like me, they loved the place. I concede it could be quite noisy (poor acoustics) and the service slower when full, but that's the case in most eating places.
We checked out its second branch at 70B Le Loi St., which opened last October.  At the ground floor is the lifestyle shop.  
We lingered a bit to check the merchandise.
The kids love the cool gadgets like lomo cameras. My first time to see Marou dark chocolates made from 100% Vietnamese coco (80% cocoa). Luxe Cochine stuff - votive candles and skin care products;  there are three fabulous fragrances, White Jasmine & Gardenia, Water Hyacinth & Lime Blossom, and Vietnamese Rose & Delentii.  I can't resist getting a few drops of lotion from the tester.
But I digress.
Up a flight of wooden stairs is the cafe on the first floor.

The interiors is as cool as the one in Dong Khoi. It also felt more spacious, though I'd think the area in front of the counter would be cramped when full.

Again, I loved the touch of colourful fresh flowers on the table.

Acoustics was bad, with all-concrete walls  (as with most cafes in Saigon). The service is more efficient (not too many customers perhaps?).



 The western menu is written on the board.

At the counter are the luscious cupcakes.

Also the magazines. 





Red-win beef pot pie
The food was quite good.

We had roast beef sandwich and red wine beef pot pie; both came with a small portion of salad.

Roast beef sandwich
The mango smoothie and the carrot juice had the right level of sweetness. My coconut juice was served in a glass with the coconut meat - I prefer it that way, more convenient.

A meal would typically cost VND 150-200k (US$7.50-10) per person. Not cheap in Vietnam, but then again, this is an uppity-lifestyle cafe.  Quality food and a cosy ambience do add to the bill.

I like it as much as the first one in Dong Khoi. Still a great place for a meal and to hang out.

Below are a couple more pictures of the ground floor shop.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment