Wednesday, July 25, 2012

West End : Rock of Ages

I love music.  Lately, I've been listening a lot to old songs, mostly remake from Glee, and the 80s.  Since we knew we'd be going to London, Jo and I planned to watch a play - I recommended Rock of Ages on the day of our arrival. Rock of Ages features many songs from the 80s. AlsO, we didn't have much choices, not many plays were showing on a Sunday night.

RoA was a cheesy love story, pretty funny and high-energy,  it was quite entertaining (though I had to bear the bad words and the very suggestive dancing). The love story between Drew and Sherrie made me feel romantic. The acting was good, and everyone in the cast had a beautiful, powerful voice, especially the Stacey Jaax character. (I would not say the same thing about Mamma Mia which we also watched. Really.)

It was off to a slow start, I didn't feel connected right away, until Sherrie sang More Than Words.  Set in Sunset Strip, the story revolved around Drew and Sherrie, young lads pursuing their dreams in the big city -he to be a rock star and her to be an actress.  None of those dreams materialized, but they found love in each other - I Wanna Know What Love Is, Waiting for a Girl Like You, The Search Is Over, you get the picture of the level of cheesiness.  

(A parallel story is how a father-son property developer planned to tear down Sunset Strip, convincing the mayor to abandon the sex, drugs, rock lifestyle. There were protests against it,  hence the singing of We Built This City, another '80s favorite.  In the end, Sunset Strip remained.) 

Lonny Barnett, the narrator, ended the play saying that on The Strip, sometimes the dreams with which you enter are not always the dreams with which you leave, but they still rock.  A quotable quote, dont you think?  The Don't Stop Believin' finale brought the house down! 

For those who loved the songs from the 80s,  I recommend the play.

No comments:

Post a Comment