Wednesday, July 25, 2012

A Grand Start to My London Trip

It's my first trip to the UK and, as always, I'm giddy with excitement. 

London is bustling, modern yet still had that old world chic, it's interestingly diverse, very cosmopolitan.  Rome was charming but it felt old and decaying inspite of the grandeur;  it's definitely past its heyday.  Barcelona has that modern vibe and old world charm as well,  but London just felt more sophisticated and urbane.  I love it.

Everytime I go to a new city,  I love to simply walk around and feel the place as soon as I arrive.  We landed at 6am, with barely a wink during the long, uncomfortable flight;  my colleagues and I just dropped off our bags at the hotel, then hit the road.  Breakfast would be at Hyde Park, at 350 acres one of the largest parks in London and one of the four Royal Parks.  It is a 20-minute walk from the hotel.  I was told the cafe will be along the Serpentine lake.  How cool is that?!!

Equestrienne in Hyde Park
On the way, I started soaking in the sights around me -- the posh apartments with flowers on the window sill, the beautiful architecture of the Museum of Natural History, the Royal Albert Hall.  Hyde Park is indeed big;  it  the very green park teeming with joggers, bikers and even elegantly-dressed  equestrienne.  In true English fashion, the weather was fickle with the sun and a light drizzle alternating while we walked,  it was also quite cold.  It felt strange - summer but we were all bundled up, for me summer means shorts and halter tops!

Lido cafe
After what seemed like a circuitous route inside the park,  we reached Lido cafe.  What a lovely place!  My spirits quickly soared.  We chose to sit outside, where we could watch the ducks on the lake.  (There was ongoing construction across the lake, most likely related to the upcoming Olympics. The triathlon will be held in Hyde Park.)  As we chatted and shared food,  the clouds parted and the sun shone. 

Serpentine lake behind me
What a grand start to my London trip. 


No comments:

Post a Comment