Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Family Meals Matter - A Lot!

During a visit to my parents
Our family holds fast to our tradition of eating meals together.

Growing up in the province, we always have dinner together. Same with Sunday lunches. Everyone was expected to be home by dinner time. I don't recall much about what we talked about during meal times - local politics maybe, even what's latest about the neighbors :)

Studies show that having regular family dinner helps children get better nutrition, also better grades. Plus it reduces the likelihood of them smoking, getting into drugs, having eating disorders, getting into trouble. I read this first years ago as a feature article in a Sunday newspaper. Google "benefits of family dinner"  and lots of websites (like the 2 below) will pop out.

We didn't have to read articles like these to know. When we started our family, my husband and I didn't even have to discuss it - we instinctively knew that family meals was the natural thing to do. Sharing our daily lives is an essential part of being a family, not just sharing last names and living under one roof.

The kids set the table. They like having their own
identifiable cup or glass to drink from :)
I look forward to dinnertime. We get to share how our day was. The other night, we talked about the boys' visit to a vegetarian restaurant, a class field trip - we asked what did they eat, how did it taste, did they try something new...When eating together, we get to notice also when someone is unusually quiet, or has a bad cough, or has long, dirty fingernails that need trimming :)  Big or small, these concerns need our attention and early intervention... During weekends, they help prepare the food, set the table and do the dishes...We believe the talks and the tasks contribute to character-building, to shaping their views about life, about the world.

I've read an article on how family dinners are good for parents, too. Not just for the kids.
http://www.slate.com/articles/life/family/2008/07/the_macandcheese_effect.html

Great findings but does it take research to know that? The family is a unit, a whole - one part gets problematic, the rest gets affected. And vice-versa. Don't parents feel happy and fulfilled when their kids are doing well in school, behaving properly and growing up responsibly? I do. I believe most parents do. It's a no-brainer, in my view.

As a working mom over the past 20 years, I know I have missed countless opportunities to network and build professional relationships - over dinner or even weekends;  I go when necessary but not that active :)I don't have regrets. My kids are doing well in school, they are thoughtful and caring, helpful at home. Call me simple but this for me is happiness.

No comments:

Post a Comment